Sunday, May 31, 2009

Some books I love

Posted on Facebook, for the 15 books that stick with you meme, where it will get lost too soon. Here is better...

Fiction

The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress, by Robert Heinlein (It’s sexist and not great writing, but for me it’s so compelling, I’ve read it over 20 times.)

Little Women, by Louisa May Alcott (Read a dozen times. I’d read anything she wrote.)

Replay, by Ken Grimwood (I missed my train because I was so absorbed. I’ve read it about 5 times.)

The Library, by Sarah Stewart (Elizabeth Brown entered the world skinny, nearsighted and shy … read a gazillion books … and ended up ‘moving in with a friend’. So sweet I cried.)

A Door Into Ocean, by Joan Slonczewski (sci fi, non-violence)

The Word for World is Forest, by Ursula LeGuin (sci fi)

The Color Purple , by Alice Walker (read about a dozen times)


Education and Child-Raising

The Continuum Concept, by Jean Leidloff (about a tribe in South America and how they raise their kids.)

Raising Curious, Creative, Confident Kids: The Pestalozzi Experiment in Child-Based Education, by Rebeca Wild (about a free school in Ecuador)

The Power of Their Ideas, by Deborah Meier (about a small school in Harlem that’s doing big things)

Mathematics: A Human Endeavor, by Harold Jacobs (Funnest math textbook I know)


Non-Fiction

Sisterhood is Powerful, edited by Robin Morgan (Writing on the women’s movement, from the 70’s. Changed my life.)

Dreaming the Dark, by Starhawk (about being a witch, a non-violence activist, etc. Also changed my life.)

Rebel in Paradise, by Richard Drinnon (Biography of Emma Goldman, anarchist)

Tree: A Life Story, by David Suzuki (nature writing)

Living by Water, by Brenda Peterson (nature writing)

No comments:

Post a Comment